Music from PortlandIn our stores, you'll find a ton of music. Some of it's on our own record label, and some of it's music by other bands that we can't get enough of. Here's a taste of PNW bands that aren't on our label that we love to listen to.
Listen to the song "Tenderness"In her most experimental and haunting album yet, Laura Gibson ruminates on grief and trauma and creates music that balances heavy darkness with radical hope.
RIYL: Jenny Lewis, Yo La Tengo, Dark Dark Dark, Laura Veirs, new beginnings
Barsuk Records 2018
- 1. I Carry Water
3. Slow Joke Grin
10. I Don't Want Your Voice to Move Me
- Laura Gibson grew up in Oregon, and briefly went to school for medicine before pursuing a career in music; today she has her MFA in writing, has released five solo albums, and has received praise from and been featured by NPR, The Guardian, Paste Magazine, and more. Her music consistently balances light and dark effortlessly and will probably make you cry.
Black Belt Eagle Scout: Mother of My Children
Listen to the song "Soft Stud"Mother of My Children is Black Belt Eagle Scout's first full length album and combines ambient post-rock vibes with sweet melodic bedroom pop.
RIYL: Angel Olsen, (Sandy) Alex G, Sharon Van Etten, Mitski
- 1. Soft Stud
2. Indians Never Die
4. Mother of My Children
6. I Don't Have You in My Life
7. Just Lie Down
8. Sam, A Dream
- Black Belt Eagle Scout is the solo project of Katherine Paul, a member of the Swinomish Tribe of western Washington and an active part of the Portland music community. Her music takes inspiration from her native roots, her identity as a queer woman, experimental indie rock artists, and themes such as grief and loss.
Listen to the song "Sun Raisin"Tribe Mars' debut album is funky and jazzy and beautiful- the perfect soundtrack for smoking a joint in the sun or learning to love yourself.
RIYL: A Tribe Called Quest, Solange, De La Soul, jazz rap
- 1. Sun Raisin
6. Helio Cinnamon
7. Ode to An Elder
10. Super Pow
11. Best Fishes
12. Mystic Prose
- Tribe Mars is a guerrilla faction of freedom fighters combating tyranny and systemic oppression with music and values inherited from wise Martian elders. Tribe Mars is also an emerging soul R&B/hip-hop act based in Portland, OR. The culmination of diverse musical backgrounds of all the members has resulted in a unique, raw, old school meets new school, West coast meets East coast vibe that’ll be sure to have you groovin’.
Listen to the song "Mujer Santísima"El Tren is 11-member Orquestra Pacifico Tropical's fantastic second album.
RIYL: M.A.K.U. Soundsystem, Chicha Libre, explosive dance parties, psychedelic cumbia
- 1. Cumbia Chancla
2. Flor De Oro
4. Siglo Nuevo
5. El Tren
7. Isla De La Luz
8. Cumbia Marinero
10. Mujer Santísima
- Deep in the vein filled jungles of each of our hearts beats a music with roots as wide as continents and influence as deep as time itself: Cumbia, music of the Southern American Hemisphere. Orquestra Pacifico Tropical have taken this frenetic, addictive rhythm and accomplished what musicians across time and space have always done, bringing crowds into a blistering dance frenzy.
I'll Be Your Girl
Listen to the song "Severed"The Decemberists bring their familiar brooding folk sound into 2018 with dance beats and synth pop influences on their 8th Studio album, I'll Be Your Girl.
RIYL: Death Cab for Cutie, Mountain Goats, The Shins, Camera Obscura, John Prine
Capitol Records 2018
- 1. Once In My Life
2. Cutting Stone
5. Tripping Along
6. Your Ghost
7. Everything is Awful
8. Sucker's Prayer
9. We All Die Young
10. Rusalka, Rusalka / Wild Rushes
11. I'll Be Your Girl
- One of Portland's original indie rock bands, The Decemberists have been creating music together for nearly 20 years. They've played at a rally for Barack Obama, created books and board games, and even have a local holiday named for them.
I Need To Start a Garden
Listen to the song "Drinking Song"Haley Heynderickx's hauntingly beautiful debut album will melt the stoniest of hearts.
RIYL: Big Thief, John Fahey, Angel Olsen, Y La Bamba, unbearable beauty
Mama Bird Recordings 2018
- 1. No Face
2. The Bug Collector
4. Worth It
5. Show You a Body
6. Untitled God Song
7. Oom Sha La La
8. Drinking Song
- Heynderickx grew up in a religious household in Oregon, closely identifying with her Filipino roots, but also straddling multiple cultural identities. Now residing in Portland, her faith is not overt, but her introspection and continued struggle for self-actualization are easily accessible and relatable.
Listen to the song "If You Want"A fantastically dreamy first full length album from cult-pop darlings Reptaliens.
RIYL: Ariel Pink, Beach House, Wampire, nightmarish dream pop
- 1. 29 Palms
2. If You Want
5. These Days
6. Satan's Song
8. Butter Slime
9. Forced Entry
- Reptaliens is inspired by sci-fi art, cult mentality, and deep connections, creating low fidelity chameleon dreamscapes somewhere between abstract expressionism and surrealism both sonically and visually. Visit them onCaptured Tracks
Listen to the song "Harrison 2"Turtlenecked's Vulture was written and recorded by one 21-year-old in a house in the Sellwood neighborhood of Portland.
RIYL: Fugazi, Parquet Courts, early Weezer, nervous breakdowns
2017 Good Cheer Records
- 1. Boys Club
3. My New Necklace
5. Harrison 2
6. Meeting You In The Hospital
7. Bronze Bull
8. Human Veal
- Harrison Smith (aka Turtlenecked) plays every instrument on his albums' recordings, takes himself seriously (but not too seriously), and creates art-punk-power-pop that's equally relatable and grating. Visit him on Bandcamp.
Rigsketball 2017 Compilation Cassette
- Each year Rigsketball releases a tape with tracks from all 32 bands playing in Rigsketball. This TWO HOUR beast can be yours! You can get it here, at TLE stores, or right at the tournament.
- Side A:
The Domestics - Tunnels and Trains
Animal Eyes - Where We Go
Shannon Entropy - No Disgrace
No Aloha - Diversions
Alberta Paper Company - Sugar
The Forever Agos - Want and Need
Stars' Blood - Back in the Bottle
Houlie and the Blowfish - Midnight Blues
Paper Brain - At All
Howard Ivans - Candy
Wet Dream - Basement Under the Ocean
Tribe Mars - $3 Kung Fu
Nic Wilkins - Frank Gore
AMANI - The Immortal
Ellington Willoughby and the Andrew Jacksons - Mothership
And And And - Holy Fucking Matrimony
Hustle and Drone - Voices of Ventriloquists
Hot Won't Quit - Grab the Wheel
Bastard Salt - More More More
WORWS - Sheltering Hand
Trick Sensei - When We Stray
Sorta Ultra - Don’t Lie To Me
The Get Ahead - Dollars For Doughnuts
This Fair City - Ebb & Flow
Foxy Lemon - Quite A Bit of Booty
Grammerhorn Wren - Pet Narc
Crushingcrayons - Dawn New Horizons
Space Shark - Helevator
The Quick & Easy Boys - Swipe Right
Donovan Trip - Cheer Up
Queen Chief - Sleeping Under Trees
Salvo Idly - Blame
- Rigsketball is a 32 band basketball tournament played on a regulation height hoop attached to a tour van. Rigsketball happens during the last two weeks of July in Portland, OR. We welcome any bands to sign up to play in the tournament for free. Check out their website for all details.
Listen to the song "Feel it Still"Few indie bands turn pop as well as Portugal. The Man has done with Woodstock, effortlessly combining their indie rock roots with RnB, hip hop, and pop sensibilities.
RIYL: Broken Bells, Alt J, Cage the Elephant, Bruno Mars
- 1. Number One (Featuring – Richie Havens, Son Little)
2. Easy Tiger
3. Live In The Moment
4. Feel It Still
5. Rich Friends
6. Keep On
7. So Young
8. Mr. Lonely
Featuring – Fat Lip
9. Tidal Wave
10. Noise Pollution (Version A, Vocal Up Mix 1.3) Featuring – Mary Elizabeth Winstead
- Indie babes turned pop stars Portugal. The Man have roots in both Alaska and Portland, have released 9 full length albums, and have worked with Yoko Ono, Mike D of Beastie Boys, Mac Miller, Danger Mouse, and more. Visit their website.
Listen to the song "Photographs"According to singer Nate Wey, shoegazing bliss-pop group Souvenir Driver's fourth full length album is "inspired by relationships, nature, and strangely enough, turtles."
RIYL: Jesus + Mary Chain, My Bloody Valentine, Mogwai, Chromatics
- 1. Swans
4. Slow Retreat
6. Voices of a Traveler
- Souvenir Driver is a four-piece rock band based in Portland. They create dreamy psychedelic post-punk shoegaze with rugged soundscapes and recorded their self titled album in a cabin on Mt. Hood. Visit their website.
Listen to the song "Heartworms"The outstanding 2017 release from indie rock giants The Shins.
RIYL: Spoon, Surfer Blood, Yo La Tengo, of Montreal
- 1. Name For You
2. Painting a Hole
3. Cherry Hearts
4. Fantasy Island
6. Rubber Ballz
7. Half a Million
8. Dead Alive
10. So Now What
11. The Fear
- Originally founded in Albuquerque, New Mexico in 1996, The Shins have built themselves a reputation as an indie rock staple for over 20 years. They recently found themselves moving to Portland, where they released their 2017 album, Heartworms. Visit their website..
Listen to the song "Underground"Kelli Schaefer worked on her most recent album, No Identity, for almost 4 years before its release in early 2017.
RIYL: St. Vincent, PJ Harvey, Nick Cave, Sinead O'Connor, Bjork
- 1. No Identity
2. Big Black Box
3. Mind Is A Cone
6. Shiny Black Feathers
8. Gold Baby
9. Holy Shotgun
10. Bad For You
- One of Portland's most talented songwriters, Kelli Schaefer has been perfecting her powerful & gripping art pop since her first EP in 2008, growing darker, more moving, and more personal with each release. Visit her website here.
Prequel / Olive Boy
Listen to the song "Olive Boy"The greatly anticipated debut single from mysterious & culty Portland band Reptaliens. RIYL: Ariel Pink, Beach House, Wampire, nightmarish dream pop.
- 1. Prequel
2. Olive Boy
- Reptaliens is inspired by sci-fi art, cult mentality, and deep connections, creating low fidelity chameleon dreamscapes somewhere between abstract expressionism and surrealism both sonically and visually.Visit them on Captured Tracks.
Listen to the song "Trivial Motion"Moody and sensual, Salt is Shy Girls' first full length album. 12" vinyl.
- 1. Intro
2. You Like the Pain Too
3. Watercolor Dreams
4. Trivial Motion
5. Why I Love
6. Say You Will
7. What If I Can
8. Time (Hell Won't Wait for Us)
9. I Am Only a Man
- "PBR&B" singer Dan Vidmar attended Pennsylvania State University for psychology & played classic rock in a dive bar before moving to Portland. In Portland he started his current project, Shy Girls, and has released two EPs and one full length.
Pour Down 7"
Listen to the song "Pour Down"This 7" vinyl features two of Natasha Kmeto's best songs: "Pour Down" & "Free for Tonight." Play alone in your bedroom or at a dance party. RIYL: Beyonce, Jessy Lanza, sexy slow-dance jams.
- A Pour Down
B Free for Tonight
- Natasha Kmeto is an electronic producer/vocalist dedicated to the art of emotional engagement. Writing, producing, and performing all her material, Kmeto combines her sensuous voice with a dancefloor ethic, exuding a thoughtful physicality that rewards openness and vulnerability. Visit her website here.
Me or the Party
Listen to the song "You're ok"An ethereal double LP from twee-punk sweethearts. 12" vinyl.
RIYL: Belle & Sebastian, Menomena, Beat Happening, twee pop
- 1. Turing Shulgun
3. You're Okay
5. Deeper Creatures
6. Poison Arrow
8. Street Ghost
9. Ants In The Hive
10. Me Or The Party
11. Paint It On
12. Pioneer Violence
13. Your Gold Cheer
14. Ancestral Letdown
15. Kings III
- Point Juncture WA plays music that is warm, sweet, optimistic, and headstrong, and its members believe that punk rock (in its loudest and gentlest incarnations) will eventually win, even when the fight looks fixed. Visit their website.
Being No One Going Nowhere
Listen to the song "Tape Machine"Being No One Going Nowhere is Portland-based electro-indie group STRFKR's fifth studio album.
RIYL: Neon Indian, Phantogram, Cut Copy, Yacht
- 1. Tape Machine
3. Never Ever
4. Something Ain't Right
5. Open Your Eyes
7. In The End
9. When I'm With You
10. Dark Days
11. Being No One, Going Nowhere
- STRFKR began as the solo project of singer Joshua Hodges before expanding to a three-piece. They were originally called Starfucker, then changed their name to Pyramiddd, then changed their name back to Starfucker, and finally shortened it to STRFKR in 2012. Visit their website.
Listen to the song "Hungry Ghost"Gemini I is witch-folk singer Johanna Warren's beautiful follow-up to her critically acclaimed nūmūn.
RIYL: Mitski, Laura Gibson, Cat Power, Tori Amos, magick
- 1. A Bird in the Crocodile's Mouth
2. Hungry Ghost
3. Let Me Stay
4. The Blessing The Curse
5. circlenot astraight
6. There is a Light
8. Little Red Lines
- Johanna Warren is the founder of Portland-based label Spirit House, which features witchy spiritual femmes and encourages activism, healing, spritualism, art, and magic. In addition to her solo career, her gentle & ethereal voice helped earn her work with Iron & Wine, Natalie Merchant, and her band from Brooklyn, sTiCkLiPs. Visit her website here.
Sweet Simple Things
Listen to the song "Sweet Simple Things"This is the record to put on during one of those non-stop rainy Portland days that will put the pep back in your step. These poppy, sexy grooves will remind you of sunnier times, while remaining a little twisted and dark themselves. RIYL: Of Montreal, UMO, Prince, sticky-sweet vocals. 12" vinyl.
- 1. Real Sugar
2. Artist Statement
3. Love Is Bad
4. The Middle
6. Never Spayed
7. Sweet, Simple Things
8. All The Girls
9. Like That's Okay
- Minden is a psychedelic pop group from Portland, Oregon, by way of Kansas City, Missouri. They feature strong songwriting and sexy, tickle-your-fancy melodies. Visit them on Bandcamp here.
Dolls of Highland
Listen to the song "Lady of the Ark"Dolls of Highland is country infused glam rock about relationships that are complicated, jealous, heartbreaking, and haunting. RIYL: Bob Dylan, Elton John, Ryan Adams, Hedwig and the Angry Inch
- 1. Eye of a Hurricane
4. Lady of the Ark
5. Gloom Girl
6. Trinidad Beach (Before I Ride)
7. Future Midcity Massacre
8. Black Mary
10. Dolls of Highland
11. Jane Beat the Reaper
12. Three Candles
- Kyle Craft was raised in a small town in Louisiana and inspired by his first album: a David Bowie compilation that he bought at K-Mart. He lives in Portland and recorded Dolls of Highland in his friend's laundry room. Check out his page on Sub Pop.
How's Your Favorite Dreamer
Listen to the song "Styrofoam Factory"Psych-surf-rockers Wooden Indian Burial Ground take an even wilder turn with How's Your Favorite Dreamer.
RIYL: Thee Oh Sees, Ty Segall, Built to Spill, euphonic dementia
- 1. Styrofoam Factory
2. Sad Mutations
3. The Pretty Good OK Days
4. Spazz Pony
5. Moist Dynasty
6. How’s your Favorite Dreamer?
7. The Discoverer
8. Burnout Beach
9. Zanesville Massacre
10. Black Eye Tie Dye
11. Dope Mann
12. Grizzly Peacock
13. Why am I? Who are You?
14. Sam’s Dream
- Wooden Indian Burial Ground feed the electric insects that plaster your cracking windshield after a wine soaked road trip. Visit their website here.
Slow Corpse: Hound/Moons
Listen to the song "Matches"The first two EPs from this sweet, sweet band from Ashland, Oregon, available on a single cassette. RIYL: Glass Animals, Alt-J, Grizzly Bear, sultry postpunk-chillwave.
Wiener Records (2016)
- Side A "HOUNDS"
6. Ill Man
Side B "MOONS"
- Born out of the misty forests in Southern Oregon in the fall of 2015, Slow Corpse has quickly risen into prominence in the Oregon indie rock scene. Following the release of their debut EPs, Hound and Moons, Slow Corpse have taken to the road, playing shows up and down the Northwest region of the US which they pay tribute to in their layered dark, folk sound. Visit them on Soundcloud here.
Listen to the song "Multi-Love"Multi-Love isn't your traditional break up album; it deals with love, heartache, family, and polyamory.
RIYL: Deerhunter, Tame Impala, MGMT, Blood Orange
- 1. Multi-Love
2. Like Acid Rain
3. Ur Life One Night
4. Can't Keep Checking My Phone
5. Extreme Wealth and Casual Cruelty
6. The World Is Crowded
7. Stage or Screen
8. Necessary Evil
- The birth of Unknown Mortal Orchestra was private and mysterious; singer Ruban Nielson posted a song titled "Ffunny Ffriends" in 2010 on Bandcamp under a pseudonym, and within a week of recording it, it was discovered by Nylon magazine and had circulated back to him through his office. Today, Nielson is globally successful, lives with his wife and children outside of Portland, and maintains a casually funny twitter presence. Visit their website here.
Listen to the song "Runaway"Portland rapper Myke Bogan's newest full-length album features laid-back beats & introspective lyrics, as well as features from neo-soul singer Blossom, rapper Ripley Snell, and Wild Ones frontwoman Danielle Sullivan.
RIYL: Earl Sweatshirt, Flying Lotus, Wiz Khalifa, introspective stoner rap
- 1. Pause
2. Pickathon (ft. Khary)
3. Leapfrog (ft. Blossom)
4. On My Way (ft. Kid Indigo)
5. All In (The Interlude)
6. Smooth Motion
7. Groove (ft. Kazadi, Blossom)
8. Calling You (ft. Ripley Snell)
9. Runaway (ft. Danielle Sullivan)
10. If You Wanna Know
- Originally from Lancaster, CA and currently based in Portland, OR, Myke Bogan's chill hip hop embodies the laid back vibes the West Coast is known for.
Full Circle Nightmare
Listen to the song "Slick & Delta Queen"Kyle Craft's second album features country-fried rock tunes about heartache & heartbreak straight out of a rock opera.
RIYL: Bob Dylan, Elton John, David Bowie, Hedwig and the Angry Inch
SUB POP 2018
- 1. Fever Dream Girl
2. Full Circle Nightmare
3. Heartbreak Junky
4. The Rager
5. Exile Rag
6. Belmont (One Trick Pony)
7. Slick & Delta Queen
8. Fake Magic Angel
9. Bridge City Rose
10. Gold Calf Moan
- Kyle Craft was raised in a small town in Louisiana and heavily inspired by his first album: a David Bowie compilation that he bought at K-Mart. He currently lives in Portland.
Picture Him Protecting You
Listen to the song "Guitar Cop"Psychedelic, groovy, and atmospheric, Picture Him Protecting You is an incredible & unique dream pop album. RIYL: M83, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, anime dreamscapes
Fresh Selects 2018
- 1. Guitar Cop
2. Good Medicine
4. Let Down
5. In All Ways Sun
6. Sheep Soda
7. Somewhere in Between
10. Fix It
- Hosannas is the psychedelic electro-pop project of brothers Rico and Brandon Laws, who have been collaborating musically for over a decade.
Night Bats / White Dresses
Listen to the song "Your Eyes"This double re-release celebrates the 10 year anniversary of Loch Lomond's fantastic EPs Night Bats and White Dresses.
RIYL: Fleetwood Mac, The Decemberists, Yann Tiersen, Andrew Bird
HUSH Records 2018
- 1. Ghost of An Earthworm
2. Night Bats
3. Spine (MMIX)
5. Wax and Wire
6. Your Eyes
7. Inventing You
8. White Dresses
9. Kicking With Your Feet
10. Knuf Sirhc
- Now over a decade old, Loch Lomond is a band that has shaped the musical direction of the Portland, Oregon, music scene while also continuing to challenge and redefine its own sound. Anchored by the versatile vocals of singer/multi-instrumentalist Ritchie Young the group builds dynamic soundscapes with baroque swells and heartbreaking minimalist breakdowns. Though Loch Lomond has undergone a handful of lineup changes, the band remains an institution in Portland and an influence far beyond-- especially after years of touring in the US and Europe.
Raised By Women
Listen to the song "Say You Love Me"Raised By Women features 11 tracks from creative, talented, and powerful women in the Portland music scene, with a fantastic range of indie pop, rock, electronic, and rnb. All profits benefit Raphael House, a local-to-Portland charity dedicated to helping survivors of abuse.
Dazzleships Records 2018
- 1. Skull Diver: Bad Star
2. Mini Blinds: Happy
3. Cat Hoch: Say You Love Me
4. Natasha Kmeto: Your Girl
5. Rilla: Side Sleeper
6. Johanna Warren: The Blessing The Curse
7. DANDAN: Broken Mirror
8. Black Water Holy Light: Sunrise
9. Laura Palmer's Death Parade: Scrollin
10. Haste: Let's Touch Ourselves
11. Sheers: An Osscasion
- Dazzleships is a Portland Oregon based tape and vinyl label that focuses on releases for bands that deserve to be heard.
Sex & Food
Listen to the song "Not In Love We're Just High"Where are we headed? What are we consuming, how is it affecting us, and why does everything feel so bad and weird sometimes? These are some of the questions posed on Ruban Nielson’s fourth album as Unknown Mortal Orchestra, Sex & Food—a delightfully shapeshifting album that filters these real-deal serious themes through a vibrant sonic lens.
RIYL: Deerhunter, Tame Impala, MGMT, Blood Orange
- 1. A God Called Hubris
2. Major League Chemicals
3. Ministry of Alienation
5. Chronos Feasts on His Children
6. American Guilt
7. The Internet of Love (That Way)
8. Everyone Acts Crazy Nowadays
9. This Doomsday
10. How Many Zeroes
11. Not in Love We're Just High
12. If You're Going to Break Yourself
- The birth of Unknown Mortal Orchestra was private and mysterious; singer Ruban Nielson posted a song titled "Ffunny Ffriends" in 2010 on Bandcamp under a pseudonym, and within a week of recording it, it was discovered by Nylon magazine and had circulated back to him through his office. Today, Nielson is globally successful, lives with his wife and children outside of Portland, and maintains a casually funny twitter presence.