Music from PortlandIn our stores, you'll find a ton of music. Some of it's on our own record label, and some of it's music by other bands that we can't get enough of. Here's a taste of PNW bands that aren't on our label that we love to listen to.
Listen to the song "Tenderness"In her most experimental and haunting album yet, Laura Gibson ruminates on grief and trauma and creates music that balances heavy darkness with radical hope.
RIYL: Jenny Lewis, Yo La Tengo, Dark Dark Dark, Laura Veirs, new beginnings
Barsuk Records 2018
- 1. I Carry Water
3. Slow Joke Grin
10. I Don't Want Your Voice to Move Me
- Laura Gibson grew up in Oregon, and briefly went to school for medicine before pursuing a career in music; today she has her MFA in writing, has released five solo albums, and has received praise from and been featured by NPR, The Guardian, Paste Magazine, and more. Her music consistently balances light and dark effortlessly and will probably make you cry.
Mother of My Children
Listen to the song "Soft Stud"Mother of My Children is Black Belt Eagle Scout's first full length album and combines ambient post-rock vibes with sweet melodic bedroom pop.
RIYL: Angel Olsen, (Sandy) Alex G, Sharon Van Etten, Mitski
- 1. Soft Stud
2. Indians Never Die
4. Mother of My Children
6. I Don't Have You in My Life
7. Just Lie Down
8. Sam, A Dream
- Black Belt Eagle Scout is the solo project of Katherine Paul, a member of the Swinomish Tribe of western Washington and an active part of the Portland music community. Her music takes inspiration from her native roots, her identity as a queer woman, experimental indie rock artists, and themes such as grief and loss.
Listen to the song "Sun Raisin"Tribe Mars' debut album is funky and jazzy and beautiful- the perfect soundtrack for smoking a joint in the sun or learning to love yourself.
RIYL: A Tribe Called Quest, Solange, De La Soul, jazz rap
- 1. Sun Raisin
6. Helio Cinnamon
7. Ode to An Elder
10. Super Pow
11. Best Fishes
12. Mystic Prose
- Tribe Mars is a guerrilla faction of freedom fighters combating tyranny and systemic oppression with music and values inherited from wise Martian elders. Tribe Mars is also an emerging soul R&B/hip-hop act based in Portland, OR. The culmination of diverse musical backgrounds of all the members has resulted in a unique, raw, old school meets new school, West coast meets East coast vibe that’ll be sure to have you groovin’.
Listen to the song "Mujer Santísima"El Tren is 11-member Orquestra Pacifico Tropical's fantastic second album.
RIYL: M.A.K.U. Soundsystem, Chicha Libre, explosive dance parties, psychedelic cumbia
- 1. Cumbia Chancla
2. Flor De Oro
4. Siglo Nuevo
5. El Tren
7. Isla De La Luz
8. Cumbia Marinero
10. Mujer Santísima
- Deep in the vein filled jungles of each of our hearts beats a music with roots as wide as continents and influence as deep as time itself: Cumbia, music of the Southern American Hemisphere. Orquestra Pacifico Tropical have taken this frenetic, addictive rhythm and accomplished what musicians across time and space have always done, bringing crowds into a blistering dance frenzy.
I Need To Start a Garden
Listen to the song "Drinking Song"Haley Heynderickx's hauntingly beautiful debut album will melt the stoniest of hearts.
RIYL: Big Thief, John Fahey, Angel Olsen, Y La Bamba, unbearable beauty
Mama Bird Recordings 2018
- 1. No Face
2. The Bug Collector
4. Worth It
5. Show You a Body
6. Untitled God Song
7. Oom Sha La La
8. Drinking Song
- Heynderickx grew up in a religious household in Oregon, closely identifying with her Filipino roots, but also straddling multiple cultural identities. Now residing in Portland, her faith is not overt, but her introspection and continued struggle for self-actualization are easily accessible and relatable.
Listen to the song "Harrison 2"Turtlenecked's Vulture was written and recorded by one 21-year-old in a house in the Sellwood neighborhood of Portland.
RIYL: Fugazi, Parquet Courts, early Weezer, nervous breakdowns
2017 Good Cheer Records
- 1. Boys Club
3. My New Necklace
5. Harrison 2
6. Meeting You In The Hospital
7. Bronze Bull
8. Human Veal
- Harrison Smith (aka Turtlenecked) plays every instrument on his albums' recordings, takes himself seriously (but not too seriously), and creates art-punk-power-pop that's equally relatable and grating. Visit him on Bandcamp.
Rigsketball 2017 Compilation Cassette
- Each year Rigsketball releases a tape with tracks from all 32 bands playing in Rigsketball. This TWO HOUR beast can be yours! You can get it here, at TLE stores, or right at the tournament.
- Side A:
The Domestics - Tunnels and Trains
Animal Eyes - Where We Go
Shannon Entropy - No Disgrace
No Aloha - Diversions
Alberta Paper Company - Sugar
The Forever Agos - Want and Need
Stars' Blood - Back in the Bottle
Houlie and the Blowfish - Midnight Blues
Paper Brain - At All
Howard Ivans - Candy
Wet Dream - Basement Under the Ocean
Tribe Mars - $3 Kung Fu
Nic Wilkins - Frank Gore
AMANI - The Immortal
Ellington Willoughby and the Andrew Jacksons - Mothership
And And And - Holy Fucking Matrimony
Hustle and Drone - Voices of Ventriloquists
Hot Won't Quit - Grab the Wheel
Bastard Salt - More More More
WORWS - Sheltering Hand
Trick Sensei - When We Stray
Sorta Ultra - Don’t Lie To Me
The Get Ahead - Dollars For Doughnuts
This Fair City - Ebb & Flow
Foxy Lemon - Quite A Bit of Booty
Grammerhorn Wren - Pet Narc
Crushingcrayons - Dawn New Horizons
Space Shark - Helevator
The Quick & Easy Boys - Swipe Right
Donovan Trip - Cheer Up
Queen Chief - Sleeping Under Trees
Salvo Idly - Blame
- Rigsketball is a 32 band basketball tournament played on a regulation height hoop attached to a tour van. Rigsketball happens during the last two weeks of July in Portland, OR. We welcome any bands to sign up to play in the tournament for free. Check out their website for all details.
Listen to the song "Feel it Still"Few indie bands turn pop as well as Portugal. The Man has done with Woodstock, effortlessly combining their indie rock roots with RnB, hip hop, and pop sensibilities.
RIYL: Broken Bells, Alt J, Cage the Elephant, Bruno Mars
- 1. Number One (Featuring – Richie Havens, Son Little)
2. Easy Tiger
3. Live In The Moment
4. Feel It Still
5. Rich Friends
6. Keep On
7. So Young
8. Mr. Lonely
Featuring – Fat Lip
9. Tidal Wave
10. Noise Pollution (Version A, Vocal Up Mix 1.3) Featuring – Mary Elizabeth Winstead
- Indie babes turned pop stars Portugal. The Man have roots in both Alaska and Portland, have released 9 full length albums, and have worked with Yoko Ono, Mike D of Beastie Boys, Mac Miller, Danger Mouse, and more. Visit their website.
Listen to the song "Photographs"According to singer Nate Wey, shoegazing bliss-pop group Souvenir Driver's fourth full length album is "inspired by relationships, nature, and strangely enough, turtles."
RIYL: Jesus + Mary Chain, My Bloody Valentine, Mogwai, Chromatics
- 1. Swans
4. Slow Retreat
6. Voices of a Traveler
- Souvenir Driver is a four-piece rock band based in Portland. They create dreamy psychedelic post-punk shoegaze with rugged soundscapes and recorded their self titled album in a cabin on Mt. Hood. Visit their website.
Prequel / Olive Boy
Listen to the song "Olive Boy"The greatly anticipated debut single from mysterious & culty Portland band Reptaliens. RIYL: Ariel Pink, Beach House, Wampire, nightmarish dream pop.
- 1. Prequel
2. Olive Boy
- Reptaliens is inspired by sci-fi art, cult mentality, and deep connections, creating low fidelity chameleon dreamscapes somewhere between abstract expressionism and surrealism both sonically and visually.Visit them on Captured Tracks.
Listen to the song "Trivial Motion"Moody and sensual, Salt is Shy Girls' first full length album. 12" vinyl.
- 1. Intro
2. You Like the Pain Too
3. Watercolor Dreams
4. Trivial Motion
5. Why I Love
6. Say You Will
7. What If I Can
8. Time (Hell Won't Wait for Us)
9. I Am Only a Man
- "PBR&B" singer Dan Vidmar attended Pennsylvania State University for psychology & played classic rock in a dive bar before moving to Portland. In Portland he started his current project, Shy Girls, and has released two EPs and one full length.
Listen to the song "Pour Down"This 7" vinyl features two of Natasha Kmeto's best songs: "Pour Down" & "Free for Tonight." Play alone in your bedroom or at a dance party. RIYL: Beyonce, Jessy Lanza, sexy slow-dance jams.
- A Pour Down
B Free for Tonight
- Natasha Kmeto is an electronic producer/vocalist dedicated to the art of emotional engagement. Writing, producing, and performing all her material, Kmeto combines her sensuous voice with a dancefloor ethic, exuding a thoughtful physicality that rewards openness and vulnerability. Visit her website here.
Me or the Party
Listen to the song "You're ok"An ethereal double LP from twee-punk sweethearts. 12" vinyl.
RIYL: Belle & Sebastian, Menomena, Beat Happening, twee pop
- 1. Turing Shulgun
3. You're Okay
5. Deeper Creatures
6. Poison Arrow
8. Street Ghost
9. Ants In The Hive
10. Me Or The Party
11. Paint It On
12. Pioneer Violence
13. Your Gold Cheer
14. Ancestral Letdown
15. Kings III
- Point Juncture WA plays music that is warm, sweet, optimistic, and headstrong, and its members believe that punk rock (in its loudest and gentlest incarnations) will eventually win, even when the fight looks fixed. Visit their website.
Being No One Going Nowhere
Listen to the song "Tape Machine"Being No One Going Nowhere is Portland-based electro-indie group STRFKR's fifth studio album.
RIYL: Neon Indian, Phantogram, Cut Copy, Yacht
- 1. Tape Machine
3. Never Ever
4. Something Ain't Right
5. Open Your Eyes
7. In The End
9. When I'm With You
10. Dark Days
11. Being No One, Going Nowhere
- STRFKR began as the solo project of singer Joshua Hodges before expanding to a three-piece. They were originally called Starfucker, then changed their name to Pyramiddd, then changed their name back to Starfucker, and finally shortened it to STRFKR in 2012. Visit their website.
Sweet Simple Things
Listen to the song "Sweet Simple Things"This is the record to put on during one of those non-stop rainy Portland days that will put the pep back in your step. These poppy, sexy grooves will remind you of sunnier times, while remaining a little twisted and dark themselves. RIYL: Of Montreal, UMO, Prince, sticky-sweet vocals. 12" vinyl.
- 1. Real Sugar
2. Artist Statement
3. Love Is Bad
4. The Middle
6. Never Spayed
7. Sweet, Simple Things
8. All The Girls
9. Like That's Okay
- Minden is a psychedelic pop group from Portland, Oregon, by way of Kansas City, Missouri. They feature strong songwriting and sexy, tickle-your-fancy melodies. Visit them on Bandcamp here.
Dolls of Highland
Listen to the song "Lady of the Ark"Dolls of Highland is country infused glam rock about relationships that are complicated, jealous, heartbreaking, and haunting. RIYL: Bob Dylan, Elton John, Ryan Adams, Hedwig and the Angry Inch
- 1. Eye of a Hurricane
4. Lady of the Ark
5. Gloom Girl
6. Trinidad Beach (Before I Ride)
7. Future Midcity Massacre
8. Black Mary
10. Dolls of Highland
11. Jane Beat the Reaper
12. Three Candles
- Kyle Craft was raised in a small town in Louisiana and inspired by his first album: a David Bowie compilation that he bought at K-Mart. He lives in Portland and recorded Dolls of Highland in his friend's laundry room. Check out his page on Sub Pop.
Slow Corpse: Hound/Moons
Listen to the song "Matches"The first two EPs from this sweet, sweet band from Ashland, Oregon, available on a single cassette. RIYL: Glass Animals, Alt-J, Grizzly Bear, sultry postpunk-chillwave.
Wiener Records (2016)
- Side A "HOUNDS"
6. Ill Man
Side B "MOONS"
- Born out of the misty forests in Southern Oregon in the fall of 2015, Slow Corpse has quickly risen into prominence in the Oregon indie rock scene. Following the release of their debut EPs, Hound and Moons, Slow Corpse have taken to the road, playing shows up and down the Northwest region of the US which they pay tribute to in their layered dark, folk sound. Visit them on Soundcloud here.
Listen to the song "Runaway"Portland rapper Myke Bogan's newest full-length album features laid-back beats & introspective lyrics, as well as features from neo-soul singer Blossom, rapper Ripley Snell, and Wild Ones frontwoman Danielle Sullivan.
RIYL: Earl Sweatshirt, Flying Lotus, Wiz Khalifa, introspective stoner rap
- 1. Pause
2. Pickathon (ft. Khary)
3. Leapfrog (ft. Blossom)
4. On My Way (ft. Kid Indigo)
5. All In (The Interlude)
6. Smooth Motion
7. Groove (ft. Kazadi, Blossom)
8. Calling You (ft. Ripley Snell)
9. Runaway (ft. Danielle Sullivan)
10. If You Wanna Know
- Originally from Lancaster, CA and currently based in Portland, OR, Myke Bogan's chill hip hop embodies the laid back vibes the West Coast is known for.
Listen to the song "Hagler"Monster Receiver combines blues and punk- and even some funk- with Americana influences sprinkled on top in an impressive way.
RIYL: The Gun Club, Lightnin' Hopkins, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, The Devil Makes Three, country-punk-blues
Fluff & Gravy 2018
- 1. Hagler
2. The Way Home
4. Comes a Storm
5. Snake Eagle Blues
6. Dayton Ohio
7. Goddamn Heart
8. Cluck Old Hen
9. Pale White Rider
10. Lay Down Satan
11. I'll Be Around
- Portland Oregon junkbox blues duo HILLSTOMP is infamous for digging through the dumps and forgotten backwoods of American music, recycling traditional elements into a refreshing and distinctive brand of do-it-yourself hill country blues stomp. North Mississippi trance blues, a bit of Appalachia, and a dash of punkabilly come clanging and tumbling from assorted buckets, cans and BBQ lids, all drenched in rambunctious slide guitar. Somehow it works.
Picture Him Protecting You
Listen to the song "Guitar Cop"Psychedelic, groovy, and atmospheric, Picture Him Protecting You is an incredible & unique dream pop album. RIYL: M83, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, anime dreamscapes
Fresh Selects 2018
- 1. Guitar Cop
2. Good Medicine
4. Let Down
5. In All Ways Sun
6. Sheep Soda
7. Somewhere in Between
10. Fix It
- Hosannas is the psychedelic electro-pop project of brothers Rico and Brandon Laws, who have been collaborating musically for over a decade.
Night Bats / White Dresses
Listen to the song "Your Eyes"This double re-release celebrates the 10 year anniversary of Loch Lomond's fantastic EPs Night Bats and White Dresses.
RIYL: Fleetwood Mac, The Decemberists, Yann Tiersen, Andrew Bird
HUSH Records 2018
- 1. Ghost of An Earthworm
2. Night Bats
3. Spine (MMIX)
5. Wax and Wire
6. Your Eyes
7. Inventing You
8. White Dresses
9. Kicking With Your Feet
10. Knuf Sirhc
- Now over a decade old, Loch Lomond is a band that has shaped the musical direction of the Portland, Oregon, music scene while also continuing to challenge and redefine its own sound. Anchored by the versatile vocals of singer/multi-instrumentalist Ritchie Young the group builds dynamic soundscapes with baroque swells and heartbreaking minimalist breakdowns. Though Loch Lomond has undergone a handful of lineup changes, the band remains an institution in Portland and an influence far beyond-- especially after years of touring in the US and Europe.
Raised By Women
Listen to the song "Say You Love Me"Raised By Women features 11 tracks from creative, talented, and powerful women in the Portland music scene, with a fantastic range of indie pop, rock, electronic, and rnb. All profits benefit Raphael House, a local-to-Portland charity dedicated to helping survivors of abuse.
Dazzleships Records 2018
- 1. Skull Diver: Bad Star
2. Mini Blinds: Happy
3. Cat Hoch: Say You Love Me
4. Natasha Kmeto: Your Girl
5. Rilla: Side Sleeper
6. Johanna Warren: The Blessing The Curse
7. DANDAN: Broken Mirror
8. Black Water Holy Light: Sunrise
9. Laura Palmer's Death Parade: Scrollin
10. Haste: Let's Touch Ourselves
11. Sheers: An Osscasion
- Dazzleships is a Portland Oregon based tape and vinyl label that focuses on releases for bands that deserve to be heard.
Listen to the song "Rorshach"Offerings, the first album from Typhoon in four years, is available now as CD, 2xLP, and digital download. Following up 2013's critically-acclaimed White Lighter, Offerings is made up of 14 tracks divided into four movements — Floodplains, Flood, Reckoning, and Afterparty. All physical orders include a high-quality digital download of Offerings.
- 1. Wake
- Typhoon is a band of contradictions. The eleven-piece Portland supergroup is both wild and tightly structured, punk and symphonic. Frontman Kyle Morton’s lyrics are concerned primarily with death, but Typhoon’s songs are resoundingly triumphant. The truth is that the band, formed by high school friends who somewhat miraculously overcame the interpersonal challenges and logistical nightmares of keeping a project of this scale intact to full maturity, was just built that way. Morton has fought significant battles with illness over the course of his life and has at times left him struggling with meaning. Of Typhoon’s music he says, “You can consider it one very bewildered man’s attempt to explain the universe to himself...in the language of bewilderment.”
Sex & Food
Listen to the song "Not In Love We're Just High"Where are we headed? What are we consuming, how is it affecting us, and why does everything feel so bad and weird sometimes? These are some of the questions posed on Ruban Nielson’s fourth album as Unknown Mortal Orchestra, Sex & Food—a delightfully shapeshifting album that filters these real-deal serious themes through a vibrant sonic lens.
RIYL: Deerhunter, Tame Impala, MGMT, Blood Orange
- 1. A God Called Hubris
2. Major League Chemicals
3. Ministry of Alienation
5. Chronos Feasts on His Children
6. American Guilt
7. The Internet of Love (That Way)
8. Everyone Acts Crazy Nowadays
9. This Doomsday
10. How Many Zeroes
11. Not in Love We're Just High
12. If You're Going to Break Yourself
- The birth of Unknown Mortal Orchestra was private and mysterious; singer Ruban Nielson posted a song titled "Ffunny Ffriends" in 2010 on Bandcamp under a pseudonym, and within a week of recording it, it was discovered by Nylon magazine and had circulated back to him through his office. Today, Nielson is globally successful, lives with his wife and children outside of Portland, and maintains a casually funny twitter presence.
Listen to the song "Career Suicide"Seamlessly blending elements of hip-hop, electronic, and dream pop into one beautiful neo-soul album, Maybe is Blossom's strongest work yet.
RIYL: Lauryn Hill, Solange, SZA, Beyonce, neo-soul
- 1. King Kai
2. Career Suicide
4. Betty Rizzo
6. Moi å Moi
10. More Than
11. Honey, if You Hear (ft. Ripley Snell)
- With roots in Trinidad and Tobago, Blossom was born into music and spent a portion of her childhood performing alongside her uncle's steel drum band. Today she creates beautiful and unique neo-soul music in Portland, Oregon.
There's a Place for People Like You
Listen to the song "Short Run"Featuring local legends like Dodgr and Ripley Snell, and produced by Eyrst's Neill Von Tally, There's A Place for People Like You is the fantastic 2019 album from Portland rapper ePP.
- 1. Preamble
3. Bleu City (Go There) ft. Dodgr
4. Short Run
5. Come My Way
6. Even? When?
7. 5R ft. Dodgr, Ripley Snell, & Neill Von Tally
8. Sofa Successful
9. Out of Place
10. Away Interlude
11. One You Can Save ft. Uel
12. Bricks ft. SQVTCH
- ePP has been making music since he first banged on a Casio keyboard as a toddler. You might recognize his name from his features and collaborations with fellow Oregonians like Dodgr, Bocha, or Calvin Valentine. His music lives somewhere between dark and playful, creating catchy tunes for the perfect summer soundtrack but grounding them through undeniably genuine lyrics that deal with real life issues.