Music from our Record Label and Beyond
Friends and Friends of Friends Vol 12
Friends & Friends of Friends is an annual 2-disc compilation of music curated by Tender Loving Empire. We collect submissions from our friends and (as the compilation title might suggest) from their friends. We request specific songs that we love and include our favorite jams from bands on our own record label. This year it's time for number 12, and we've put together 40 songs that reflect the best of what we're into now.
1. Vita and the Woolf - Sun Drop
2. Bells Atlas - First Gen Pisces
3. Ural thomas & the Pain - Smoldering Fire
4. Arthur & The Antics - Jennifer Said
5. The California Honeydrops - Live Learn
6. Aftercare - Still Love
7. Slow Corpse - Lonely 3000
8. Blossom -Moi å Moi
9. Ripley Snell - Manifinessea (ft. Old Grape God)
10. SISTERS - Y Do U Take So Long ft. Sol (Budo Remix)
11. Brijean - Show And Tell
12. PALMCO - Don't Let Me Down
13. Small Skies - Faces
14. Pure Bathing Culture - Moonrise
15. New Body Electric - Peaceful War
16. Human Ottoman - Maraca Who
17. Martha Stax - Rock and Roll
18. Jeff Bond - We Are Getting Closer
19. Little Wins - Let Me Into Your Heart
1. Y La Bamba - Boca Llena
2. Neptuna - Las Margaritas
3. The Shivas - Turn Me On
4. Elly Swope - Habits
5. Balto - Black Snake, Mojave Blues
6. The Rare Forms - Under The sheets
7. Help - Skeletons
8. Mega Pacific - Weed Police
9. Laundry - Junkyard Robot
10. Patrician - Your Friend
11. Sama Dams - Mounted On The Wall
12. Rum River Cult - Strangers Now
13. Melt - Snow
14. Shadowgraphs - Sun Is Rising
15. Mo Troper - Never Dream Of Dying
16. Perhapsy - 34th & West
17. Souvenir Driver - Admire
18. The Jerry Cans - Makiliqta
19. John Craigie - Virgin Guitar
20. Kelly McFarling - Pacific
21. Perlo - Masters
- The players: Vita and the Woolf, Bells Atlas, Ural thomas & The Pain, Arthur & The Antics, The California Honeydrops, Aftercare, Slow Corpse, Blossom, Ripley Snell, SISTERS, Brijean, PALMCO, Small Skies, Pure Bathing Culture, New Body Electric, Human Ottoman, Martha Stax, Jeff Bond, Little Wins, Y La Bamba, Neptuna, The Shivas, Elly Swope, Balto, The Rare Forms, Help, Mega Pacific, Laundry, Patrician, Sama Dams, Rum River Cult, Melt, Shadowgraphs, Mo Troper, Perhapsy, Souvenir Driver, The Jerry Cans, John Craigie, Kelly McFarling, Perlo
Listen to the song "The Situation"Paradise Hotel was borne out of years of collaboration in the Portland music community. The thirteen-track vinyl compilation was produced by Jesse Bettis of New Move Studios, in tandem with each featured songwriter, and is built on the sense of discovery between Bettis and each artist. “The reason collaboration is so powerful is the vision that every person brings to the table—and the result is much greater than the means,” says Bettis.
Thematically, each artist comes from their own place of struggle; the songs range from feminist anthem (Y La Bamba) to melancholic ballad (Aan). The sonically eclectic and exciting collection melds under shared production values and instrumentation, like the synthesizer, for a common aesthetic. Paradise Hotel’s distinct sound palette is a groovy, upbeat vibe, a la vintage 70s vinyl.
The seeds for writing and producing Paradise Hotel were planted over two years ago, when Bettis heard a demo of Boone Howard’s “Limit Of Love,” and was inspired to record it. More recently Cameron Spies (Radiation City, Night Heron, Gold Brick Studios) and Bettis became neighbors and joined forces on two songs, “The Situation” and “Astronaut Lover.” Bettis says, “New Move Studios was formed for the Portland music community. It’s a space dedicated to supporting creativity and releasing music and videos regularly.”
With Portland undergoing increasingly more change every day, it’s important to carve out a place where ingenuity and collaboration happen. The neon sign atop a decaying building on Paradise Hotel’s cover is reminiscent of Portland’s past, while looking ahead to a hopeful future. “The picture of decaying leisure class culture is also a new beginning,” Bettis says.
Paradise Hotel is a pillar of the Portland music community and its amazing creativity, and it represents just the beginning of a new, exciting body of work to come out of New Move Studios. Bettis says, “Everybody needs a community, and the more you can connect with the people around you, the better off everyone is.” .
- 1. Dan Dan - Circuit
2. Michael Finn - Good Heart & Full Support
3. Y La Bamba - Something Wild
4. New Move (feat. Night Heron) - The Situation
5. Tribe Mars - Ya Yea Yeah
6. Minden - Turned
7. Melt - Saltwater Taffy
8. Night Heron (feat. New Move) Astronaut Lover
9. PG-13 - Happy Birthday Trevor
10. Laura Palmers Death Parade - Heartbeats Dancing
11. Mat & Ritchie - Get It On
12. Boone Howard - Limit Of Love
13. Aan - Fell Into A Hole
- Paradise Hotel is a pillar of the Portland music community and its amazing creativity, and it represents just the beginning of a new, exciting body of work to come out of New Move Studios. Bettis says, “Everybody needs a community, and the more you can connect with the people around you, the better off everyone is.” .
Listen to the song "Career Suicide"Seamlessly blending elements of hip-hop, electronic, and dream pop into one beautiful neo-soul album, Maybe is Blossom's strongest work yet.
RIYL: Lauryn Hill, Solange, SZA, Beyonce, neo-soul
- 1. King Kai
2. Career Suicide
4. Betty Rizzo
6. Moi å Moi
10. More Than
11. Honey, if You Hear (ft. Ripley Snell)
- With roots in Trinidad and Tobago, Blossom was born into music and spent a portion of her childhood performing alongside her uncle's steel drum band. Today she creates beautiful and unique neo-soul music in Portland, Oregon.
There's a Place for People Like You
Listen to the song "Short Run"Featuring local legends like Dodgr and Ripley Snell, and produced by Eyrst's Neill Von Tally, There's A Place for People Like You is the fantastic 2019 album from Portland rapper ePP.
- 1. Preamble
3. Bleu City (Go There) ft. Dodgr
4. Short Run
5. Come My Way
6. Even? When?
7. 5R ft. Dodgr, Ripley Snell, & Neill Von Tally
8. Sofa Successful
9. Out of Place
10. Away Interlude
11. One You Can Save ft. Uel
12. Bricks ft. SQVTCH
- ePP has been making music since he first banged on a Casio keyboard as a toddler. You might recognize his name from his features and collaborations with fellow Oregonians like Dodgr, Bocha, or Calvin Valentine. His music lives somewhere between dark and playful, creating catchy tunes for the perfect summer soundtrack but grounding them through undeniably genuine lyrics that deal with real life issues.
Listen to the song "Belly"Bells Atlas’ latest offering the mystic digs further into their soulful buoyancy to explore both sound and storytelling. Sandra Lawson-Ndu, Douglas Stuart, Geneva Harrison, and Derek Barber stumbled upon a new, more production-oriented process for songwriting-- which included sampling grainy phone recordings-- that elevates Bells Atlas’ already unique approach to psychedelic R&B. The spontaneity of the mystic’s creative process results in a raw, cosmic sound that is mirrored in its lyrics. The record can be seen as sci-fi fantasy of two first-generation Nigerian American women coming to terms with a mental health diagnosis, and at the same time, a very universal exploration of how we make sense of reality. “It’s about a truth seer and a skeptic trying to make sense of what’s mystical and what’s clinical,” frontwoman Sandra Lawson-Ndu says. The listener is made to consider the possibility of magic. Is it possible, for instance, that someone who navigates the world differently may have a deeper understanding of the universe? The mystic is a spectrum of deep emotionality, impulse, and even humour; a tool to explore the full dimension of our reality.
- 1. Hazelwood
2. Rogue Dream
3. The Khamsa
4. We've Been Here Before
7. The Mystic
8. First Gen Pisces
9. Na Change / See Clear
10. Final Ceiling
- Bells Atlas’ latest offering the mystic digs further into their soulful buoyancy to explore both sound and storytelling. Sandra Lawson-Ndu, Douglas Stuart, Geneva Harrison, and Derek Barber stumbled upon a new, more production-oriented process for songwriting-- which included sampling grainy phone recordings-- that elevates Bells Atlas’ already unique approach to psychedelic R&B. The spontaneity of the mystic’s creative process results in a raw, cosmic sound that is mirrored in its lyrics. The record can be seen as sci-fi fantasy of two first-generation Nigerian American women coming to terms with a mental health diagnosis, and at the same time, a very universal exploration of how we make sense of reality. “It’s about a truth seer and a skeptic trying to make sense of what’s mystical and what’s clinical,” frontwoman Sandra Lawson-Ndu says. The listener is made to consider the possibility of magic. Is it possible, for instance, that someone who navigates the world differently may have a deeper understanding of the universe? The mystic is a spectrum of deep emotionality, impulse, and even humour; a tool to explore the full dimension of our reality.
Listen to the song "Cuatro Crazy"
Y La Bamba has been many things, but at the heart of it is singer-songwriter Luz Elena Mendoza’s inquisitive sense of self. Their fifth record, Mujeres, carries on the Portland-based band’s affinity for spiritual contemplation, but goes a step further in telling a story with a full emotional spectrum. Coming off Ojos Del Sol, one of NPR’s Top 50 Albums of 2016, Mujeres exhibits the scope of Mendoza’s artistic voice like never before. “Soy como soy,” Mendoza says, and that declaration is the bold— even political— statement that positions Mujeres to be Y La Bamba’s most unbridled offering yet.
The record exists in the post-2016 landscape of a national identity crisis, and Mendoza explores what it means to be a Mexican American woman by leading us through places we are afraid to go. Mujeres ventures in to the discomfort of the stories we tell ourselves. Those of our past, our futures. We all have these stories somewhere inside of us, but with Y La Bamba, Mendoza forges new narratives from old stories of heritage and family, tracing history while forging modern chicana feminism.
“Music is an extension of everything I have inside. It’s how I emote,” Mendoza says. The raw honesty of Mujeres is in fact the raw honesty of Mendoza. Armed with the emotionality of traditional música mexicana and the storytelling of American folk, Y La Bamba’s artistry is not just their musical ability but Mendoza’s search for unadulterated truth. It is in an ancestral, spiritual journey in which Mendoza comes to terms with the influence and limitations of her upbringing. Mendoza’s experience of childhood summers in the San Joaquin Valley listening to mariachi, of being raised strict Catholic by immigrant parents, of being a woman having to prove herself to the boys, paints strokes of both melancholy and healing on the tracks. “From the way that my family struggles, to the way they shoot the shit… it’s so different from whiteness,” Mendoza says. “It’s a different dimension.”
Y La Bamba exists in the dimension of the Mexican American imagination: somewhere cynical and optimistic at the same time. While there is a celebration of the Mexican creativity that has informed Mendoza’s life, there is a darker side to reconcile with. Where do mujeres fit in to the American story? What are the sins for which we are all guilty? How do different generations interact with the world? How can a culture become visible without tokenization? It is no surprise that in Mujeres, Y La Bamba’s first record with Mendoza at the helm of production, Mendoza contemplates these questions to tell her story. But it is not just Mendoza’s story. Challenging a narrative and dealing with the emotionality of that effort— that is everyone’s story.
Mujeres was recorded by Luz Elena Mendoza and Ryan Oxford at Color Therapy Studios and Besitos Fritos Studios in Portland, Oregon. Mixed by Jeff Bond, with Grace Bugbee on bass, John Niekrasz on drums, Margaret Wher Gibson on keys, and Ed Rodriguez and Ryan Oxford on electric guitar.
Bio written by Eliza Cossio
- 1. My Death
2. Real Talk
3. Cuatro Crazy
5. Lightning Storms
7. Boca Llena
10. Una Letra
11. Santa Sal
12. Bruja de Brujas
13. Follow Your Feet
14. De Lejos (Digital only bonus track)
- Formed in 2008, Y La Bamba is the project of songwriter Luz Elena Mendoza. Upon listening to Mendoza’s music it’s clear that she draws from a myriad of influences--from Mexican 30’s tunes to Devendra Banhart. Mendoza’s distinctive voice, poetic and honest lyrics, and melding of disparate genres has earned the project fans across the country and has perked the ears of journalists at the likes of NPR, Vice, and Rolling Stone. Always open to exploration and hungry for further musical development, Y La Bamba is an exciting band to watch grow and consistently keeps fans wondering and anxious to see what they will put out next.
Listen to the song "Mujeres"Y La Bamba is back with one of their most aggressive and energetic singles to date. On Mujeres, expansive drums complement Luz Elena’s active vocal layers in an explosive and inspiring call to action.
- 1. Mujeres
2. Paloma Negra
- Y La Bamba has been many things, but at the heart of it is singer-songwriter Luz Elena Mendoza’s inquisitive sense of self. Their fifth record, Mujeres, carries on the Portland-based band’s affinity for spiritual contemplation, but goes a step further in telling a story with a full emotional spectrum. Coming off Ojos Del Sol, one of NPR’s Top 50 Albums of 2016, Mujeres exhibits the scope of Mendoza’s artistic voice like never before. “Soy como soy,” Mendoza says, and that declaration is the bold— even political— statement that positions Mujeres to be Y La Bamba’s most unbridled offering yet. Mendoza forges new narratives from old stories of heritage and family, tracing history while forging modern chicana feminism. The raw honesty of Mujeres is in fact the raw honesty of Mendoza. Armed with the emotionality of traditional música mexicana and the storytelling of American folk, Y La Bamba’s artistry is not just their musical ability but Mendoza’s search for unadulterated truth. It is in an ancestral journey in which Mendoza comes to terms with the influence and limitations of her upbringing. While there is a celebration of the Mexican creativity that has informed Mendoza’s life, there is a darker side to reconcile with. Where do mujeres fit in to the American story? What are the sins for which we are all guilty? How do different generations interact with the world? How can a culture become visible without being tokenized? It is no surprise that in Mujeres, Y La Bamba’s first record with Mendoza at the helm of production, Mendoza contemplates these questions to tell her story. But it is not just Mendoza’s story. Challenging a narrative and dealing with the emotionality of that effort— that is everyone’s story. Mujeres was recorded by Luz Elena Mendoza and Ryan Oxford at Color Therapy Studios and Besitos Fritos Studios in Portland, Oregon. Mixed by Jeff Bond, with Grace Bugbee on bass, John Niekrasz on drums, Margaret Wher Gibson on keys, and Ed Rodriguez and Ryan Oxford on electric guitar.
Raised By Women
Listen to the song "Say You Love Me"Raised By Women features 11 tracks from creative, talented, and powerful women in the Portland music scene, with a fantastic range of indie pop, rock, electronic, and rnb. All profits benefit Raphael House, a local-to-Portland charity dedicated to helping survivors of abuse.
Dazzleships Records 2018
- 1. Skull Diver: Bad Star
2. Mini Blinds: Happy
3. Cat Hoch: Say You Love Me
4. Natasha Kmeto: Your Girl
5. Rilla: Side Sleeper
6. Johanna Warren: The Blessing The Curse
7. DANDAN: Broken Mirror
8. Black Water Holy Light: Sunrise
9. Laura Palmer's Death Parade: Scrollin
10. Haste: Let's Touch Ourselves
11. Sheers: An Osscasion
- Dazzleships is a Portland Oregon based tape and vinyl label that focuses on releases for bands that deserve to be heard.
Listen to the song "Girl"The second album from Portland slo-fi sweethearts bed. All proceeds benefit Immigrant Legal Resource Center.
RIYL: The Pixies, Yo La Tengo, Alex G, adorable male/female dueling harmonies
- 1. First One
8. Instant Xmas
- In late 2013, Alex and Sierra Haager quit their jobs, escaped their lives in California and headed north to start Breakup Records. They spend most of their time working with some of their favorite bands, but still found time to create a new music project for themselves as bed. They’ve appeared at Treefort Music Fest, PDX Pop Now! and Davis Music Fest, an been featured on NPR Music’s All Songs Considered.
Listen to the song "Tenderness"In her most experimental and haunting album yet, Laura Gibson ruminates on grief and trauma and creates music that balances heavy darkness with radical hope.
RIYL: Jenny Lewis, Yo La Tengo, Dark Dark Dark, Laura Veirs, new beginnings
Barsuk Records 2018
- 1. I Carry Water
3. Slow Joke Grin
10. I Don't Want Your Voice to Move Me
- Laura Gibson grew up in Oregon, and briefly went to school for medicine before pursuing a career in music; today she has her MFA in writing, has released five solo albums, and has received praise from and been featured by NPR, The Guardian, Paste Magazine, and more. Her music consistently balances light and dark effortlessly and will probably make you cry.
Listen to the song "Hagler"Monster Receiver combines blues and punk- and even some funk- with Americana influences sprinkled on top in an impressive way.
RIYL: The Gun Club, Lightnin' Hopkins, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, The Devil Makes Three, country-punk-blues
Fluff & Gravy 2018
- 1. Hagler
2. The Way Home
4. Comes a Storm
5. Snake Eagle Blues
6. Dayton Ohio
7. Goddamn Heart
8. Cluck Old Hen
9. Pale White Rider
10. Lay Down Satan
11. I'll Be Around
- Portland Oregon junkbox blues duo HILLSTOMP is infamous for digging through the dumps and forgotten backwoods of American music, recycling traditional elements into a refreshing and distinctive brand of do-it-yourself hill country blues stomp. North Mississippi trance blues, a bit of Appalachia, and a dash of punkabilly come clanging and tumbling from assorted buckets, cans and BBQ lids, all drenched in rambunctious slide guitar. Somehow it works.
The Right Time
Listen to the song "Vibrations"It’s one thing to make a 60’s throwback record. It’s another thing to have been there in real-time singing backup alongside legends Stevie Wonder, Otis Redding and James Brown, to name a few. In the case of 78 year old Ural Thomas, it’s never too late to find The Right Time.
- 1. Slow Down
2. No Distance (Between You & Me)
4. You Care Very Little
5. Smoldering Fire
6. The Right Time
7. Gotta Say (I Love You
9. Show Ya
10. Eenie Meenie
- If life was at all fair Ural Thomas would be a household name, his music slotted into countless sweet, seductive mixtapes between James Brown, Otis Redding, and Stevie Wonder (all of whom Thomas has performed with.) Straddling the line between hot soul shouter and velvety-smooth crooner, Thomas released a few singles in the late 60’s and early 70’s; most notably “Can You Dig It”, which featured backing vocals from soul luminaries Merry Clayton, Mary Wells and Brenda Holloway. Thomas played over forty shows at the legendary Apollo Theater before turning his back on an unkind business and heading home to Portland, OR. It goes without saying that a man practically built out of rhythm would never stop playing music. Thomas began hosting a regular Sunday night jam session at his home that ran for nearly twenty years. A de facto mentor to many of the younger players, Thomas reminds us all that “If you care about what you’re doing, you need to build those muscles and do the work. Don’t get discouraged, do it for love. Even if you’re digging ditches, do it with passion.” In 2014, local soul DJ Scott Magee sat in on drums. The two became fast friends and at Magee’s urging Thomas decided to give his musical career another shot. Magee became the musical director, they put together a band, and in 2016 released a self-titled album on Mississippi Records. In 2017 Thomas signed with Tender Loving Empire and began work on what, in many respects, will be his debut full length. Diving deep into lifetime of melodic creativity, Thomas and his band got to work. Recorded in Magee’s studio Arthur’s Attic, The Right Time features the air-tight work of Magee on drums, percussion, and backing vocals, Bruce Withycombe (The Decemberists) on baritone sax, Portland jazz scene fixture Brent Martens on guitars and vibraphone, Arcellus Sykes on bass, Steve Aman (Lady Rizo) on piano and organ, Dave Monnie on trumpet, Willie Matheis (Cherry Poppin’ Daddies) on tenor sax, and Jasine Rimmel, Joy Pearson, Sarah King, Rebecca Marie Miller on backing vocals. The Arco Quartet performed the strings, and the record was engineered and mixed by Jeff Stuart Saltzman (Blitzen Trapper) and mastered by JJ Golden (Sharon Jones, Ty Segall). One might think after a sizeable taste of early success Thomas would be more than a touch bitter – yet the opposite is true. “We have to be positive if we want the world to get better” Thomas advises. “We’ve come a long way, but if you carry a grudge with the whole world you’ll stop your growth. We’re a family, all just brothers and sisters, descendants of Adam. You can’t get anywhere without an open heart.” A developing artist at nearly eighty years old, for Thomas music has always been about bringing people together. “If we play for twenty people we cook it like it’s twenty thousand” says Thomas. “If we make someone smile we’re satisfied. They’re ain’t no difference between us. It’s all love and brotherhood. If folks listen to my record and feel that I’ll feel very blessed.” Standing in bold defiance of the idea that aging is a reason to slow down and stop living, for Thomas the right time to get down is the next time someone plugs in a guitar or puts on a record. Ural is ready – are you?
Salt and Soap
Listen to the song "Downpour"Soulful noise pop, inspired, propellent psych pop… Trying to nail down the sound of Bells Atlas is a bit like narrating the inner workings of a kaleidoscope – where it's more about tripping out than nailing it down.
- 1. Overshare
3. I Do Remain
4. The Mystic
- A surreal blend of r&b, psychedelia, jazz, and pop, rooted in the cultural bellwether of Oakland, CA, Bells Atlas has supported a number of international artists and shared the stage with acts such as Hiatus Kaiyote, Badbadnotgood, Bilal, Meshell Ndegeocello, W. Kamau Bell, Angélique Kidjo and more. They have also been making a name for themselves nationally as the touring band for NPR’s Snap Judgment since 2016, and recently wrapped up a sold-out tour supporting Bermuda Triangle, side-project of Alabama Shakes lead singer Brittany Howard. Channeling at once the ramshackle lo-fi beats of Tune-Yards and the sighing lullabies of Sade, Bells is like the passing bubbles of an unknown aquatic life-form, music percolates from depths untaken, playing in a deep blue pool of life, death and the fluid in-between.
Mother of My Children
Listen to the song "Soft Stud"Mother of My Children is Black Belt Eagle Scout's first full length album and combines ambient post-rock vibes with sweet melodic bedroom pop.
RIYL: Angel Olsen, (Sandy) Alex G, Sharon Van Etten, Mitski
- 1. Soft Stud
2. Indians Never Die
4. Mother of My Children
6. I Don't Have You in My Life
7. Just Lie Down
8. Sam, A Dream
- Black Belt Eagle Scout is the solo project of Katherine Paul, a member of the Swinomish Tribe of western Washington and an active part of the Portland music community. Her music takes inspiration from her native roots, her identity as a queer woman, experimental indie rock artists, and themes such as grief and loss.
Listen to the song "Weatherman For Sale"The fifth full-length album from the Portland post-punk institution Woolen Men is "about somebody who made the music they wanted to make their whole life and didn’t make any compromises." RIYL: Pavement, Arthur Russell, Parquet Courts, R.E.M., old Portland
- 1. Brick Horizon
2. Hollow World
4. Weatherman for Sale
6. The Moviegoer
7. Twin Flames
8. What Do You Want Me To Be
9. The Chip
- Rafael Spielman, Alex Geddes, and Lawton Browning have made independent music in the Pacific Northwest as Woolen Men since 2008. Since then they have written & released hundreds of songs, five LP’s, over fifteen tapes, and several 7 inches and videos, the majority of which were recorded and produced by the band themselves.
Listen to the song "I Saw My Longing"Soft noise rock band The Fourth Wall ventures in a heavier direction with their 2018 album, Infinite Other. RIYL: My Bloody Valentine, Bon Iver, Sonic Youth, dreamy melodic noise rock
BUG HUNT 2018
- 1. Circular Ruins
3. Infinite Other
4. Golden Mean
5. I Saw My Longing
6. When I Lose Everything
7. Echo of Erasure
8. Mirror of This Dawn
- The Fourth Wall is a rock band originally from Hawai’i consisting of members Stephen Agustin, Kasey Shun, Chris Lau, and Max Lilien. Originally a solo project, Agustin wrote and recorded alone in his home for a year and a half, following the break-up of his previous band, Our Distance. In the summer of 2012 The Fourth Wall relocated to Portland, Oregon, where they currently reside.
RNB Vol. 1
Listen to the song "St*rs"“THE RNB is a type of place that exists in another plane. It’s another dimension. A place beyond dreaming that is the totality of your highest vibration. All the rest though… is just mundane.”
- 1. Boogie.503
2. Casual (feat. The Last Artful, Dodgr)
4. Running (feat. Natasha Kmeto)
5. Grab Onto Me
7. On The Fly (Nu Jck)
8. Pillow Talk
9. Who's Cruising Who
10. Wake Up The Night
- Chanticleer Trü would like you to know that “RNB ain’t no joke.” As frontman of Portland, OR retrofuturist electro-soul adepts Chanti Darling, Trü drinks deeply from the sacred founts of Disco, Boogie Funk, and the dizzying universe of house music. Teasing out the essential filaments, Trü weaves a sound that nods to the past as it blasts into the future; urgent, irresistible, and absolutely of the moment. Raised on a steady diet of jazz, soul, and his mom’s Boogie Funk collection (he started leading vocal groups at age ten), multi-instrumentalist Trü studied opera, musical theater, and composition. Naturally drawn to the primal energy of the club scene, Trü first made a name for himself as a performer, promoter, and DJ. “I was always drawn to the power of music to make people dance” says Trü. “There’s some innate, ritualistic pre-human thing within us, engrained on our DNA. The metaphysical combination of melodies, rhythms, lyrics and ideas; it’s what our very consciousness is made of. It is creation itself.” To aid him on his pilgrimage, spreading the gospel of RNB, Trü turned to fellow sonic wizards Natasha Kmeto and Damon Boucher. “Natasha and I have lots of conversations about unsung heroes of popular music” explains Trü “RNB musicians that don’t get the shine that they deserve because they are women, or black, or queer. Then a blonde haired blue-eyed dude from someplace trendy literally “borrows” from this genre and all the sudden RNB is cool. No. It’s never not been cool.” Written over three years and recorded in Portland, Oregon at Zip Zap and Eyrst studios, the record features numerous collaborations with producer Boucher and Kmeto. While some of the songs were written in the studio, much of the music was refined during the bands already legendary live shows. No doubt dazzling choreographers and dancers The Step Touches – the only constant in the Chanti Darling lineup apart from Trü – have helped build the legend with their epic performances. Early in the project, Trü put together a band that included Hannah Blilie of The Gossip and Rebecca Cole of Wild Flag. “It’s amazing to be able to develop ideas in a live setting,” Trü tells us. “A lot of these songs started from live instrumentation and were then translated through digital production.” In fact, the bulk of the music – apart from the drum programming – was tracked live. Aesthetically, Chanti Darling melds 80’s retro-futurist iconography with a late-night summertime vibe; THE RNB is a place of neon lights and palm fronds, washed in the pastels of dusk and dawn. Together, Chanti Darling is undeniable and immersive. This has not gone unnoticed in the Pacific Northwest – and beyond. Voted Portland’s “Best New Band” in a poll held by Willamette Week, the band has already performed at the Pickathon, Treefort, and What The Festival events, played a host of shows with Hercules & Love Affair, been featured in Vice and Dope, and shared the stage with NAO as part of Red Bull Sound Select This record is built upon a sort of string theory of RNB sounds” says Trü. “THE RNB is a type of place that exists in another plane. It’s another dimension. A place beyond dreaming that is the totality of your highest vibration. All the rest though… is just mundane.” One of the timeless, primary allures of music has been the ability to lose oneself within it, and with RNB Vol.1 Chanti Darling has crafted a sonic totem, imbued with the power to transport the listener to a place of hip-shaking, sweaty freedom. “I wanted to create a record that people could be absorbed by. Something to hold them and envelop them. The world… the world itself has gotten so dark. That darkness bleeds over into everything that we create. Which can be amazing. But, I felt my call was different. I wanted to create a shift to positivity and light.” Blessed through a life steeped in rhythm with the mystic ability to tap into and channel the primal genomic funk, Chanticleer Trü has crafted a shimmering antidote to that darkness. RNB Vol.1 is a rapturous, profoundly engaging (and much needed) mega dose of humanities first antidepressant.
Picture Him Protecting You
Listen to the song "Guitar Cop"Psychedelic, groovy, and atmospheric, Picture Him Protecting You is an incredible & unique dream pop album. RIYL: M83, Cocteau Twins, MGMT, anime dreamscapes
Fresh Selects 2018
- 1. Guitar Cop
2. Good Medicine
4. Let Down
5. In All Ways Sun
6. Sheep Soda
7. Somewhere in Between
10. Fix It
- Hosannas is the psychedelic electro-pop project of brothers Rico and Brandon Laws, who have been collaborating musically for over a decade.
Listen to the song "Sun Raisin"Tribe Mars' debut album is funky and jazzy and beautiful- the perfect soundtrack for smoking a joint in the sun or learning to love yourself.
RIYL: A Tribe Called Quest, Solange, De La Soul, jazz rap
- 1. Sun Raisin
6. Helio Cinnamon
7. Ode to An Elder
10. Super Pow
11. Best Fishes
12. Mystic Prose
- Tribe Mars is a guerrilla faction of freedom fighters combating tyranny and systemic oppression with music and values inherited from wise Martian elders. Tribe Mars is also an emerging soul R&B/hip-hop act based in Portland, OR. The culmination of diverse musical backgrounds of all the members has resulted in a unique, raw, old school meets new school, West coast meets East coast vibe that’ll be sure to have you groovin’.
Listen to the song "Vibrations""Vibrations" is the newest single from Ural Thomas & The Pain
- 1. Vibrations
2. My Sweet Rosie
- If life was at all fair Ural Thomas would be a household name, his music slotted into countless sweet, seductive mixtapes between James Brown, Otis Redding, and Stevie Wonder (all of whom Thomas has performed with.) Straddling the line between hot soul shouter and velvety-smooth crooner, Thomas released a few singles in the late 60’s and early 70’s; most notably “Can You Dig It”, which featured backing vocals from soul luminaries Merry Clayton, Mary Wells and Brenda Holloway. Thomas played over forty shows at the legendary Apollo Theater before turning his back on an unkind business and heading home to Portland, OR. It goes without saying that a man practically built out of rhythm would never stop playing music. Thomas began hosting a regular Sunday night jam session at his home that ran for nearly twenty years. A de facto mentor to many of the younger players, Thomas reminds us all that “If you care about what you’re doing, you need to build those muscles and do the work. Don’t get discouraged, do it for love. Even if you’re digging ditches, do it with passion.” One might think after a sizeable taste of early success Thomas would be more than a touch bitter – yet the opposite is true. “We have to positive if we want the world to get better” Thomas advises. “We’ve come a long way, but if you carry a grudge with the whole world you’ll stop your growth. We’re a family, all just brothers and sisters, descendants of Adam. You can’t get anywhere without an open heart.”
Night Bats / White Dresses
Listen to the song "Your Eyes"This double re-release celebrates the 10 year anniversary of Loch Lomond's fantastic EPs Night Bats and White Dresses.
RIYL: Fleetwood Mac, The Decemberists, Yann Tiersen, Andrew Bird
HUSH Records 2018
- 1. Ghost of An Earthworm
2. Night Bats
3. Spine (MMIX)
5. Wax and Wire
6. Your Eyes
7. Inventing You
8. White Dresses
9. Kicking With Your Feet
10. Knuf Sirhc
- Now over a decade old, Loch Lomond is a band that has shaped the musical direction of the Portland, Oregon, music scene while also continuing to challenge and redefine its own sound. Anchored by the versatile vocals of singer/multi-instrumentalist Ritchie Young the group builds dynamic soundscapes with baroque swells and heartbreaking minimalist breakdowns. Though Loch Lomond has undergone a handful of lineup changes, the band remains an institution in Portland and an influence far beyond-- especially after years of touring in the US and Europe.
Friends and Friends of Friends Vol 11
Only available on CD!Friends & Friends of Friends is an annual compilation of music curated by Tender Loving Empire. We put out an open call for submissions from the community, request specific songs that we love and include our favorite jams from bands on our own record label. The result is a collection of songs that is by far the best grouping of music that we’ve ever been able to put in one place, at one time.
1. Ural Thomas & The Pain - Vibrations
2. Chanti Darling - Pillow Talk
3. The Seshen - Right Here
4. Vibe Mosaic ft. Mari QM - Why
5. Bells Atlas - Be Brave
6. Dreckig - Leipzig
7. EPP - Come My Way
8. Orquestra Pacifico Tropical - Mujer Santísima
9. Y La Bamba - Se Escucha
10. Typhoon - Remember
11. Brette Irish - Static
12. DoublePlusGood - Honest Man
13. Sweeping Exits - Teachers
14. Husky Boys - Boys Like Ryan
15. Rad Max - Big Trouble in Little Caesars
16. Deathlist - High Beams
17. Tancred - Queen of New York
18. The Fourth Wall - When I Lose Everything
19. Tough Boy - The Surface
20. Water Wolfman Washington - Save Your Love for Me
1. Slow Corpse - Cruel
2. Water Slice - This Way
3. The Family Crest - Take Tonight
4.Kuinka - Curious Hands
5. SISTERS - Queer Life
6. Frankie Simone - Love/Warrior
7. Gabe Fleck - Colder Shoulders
8. Why These Coyotes - Dance Around the Fire
9. Dan Dan - Broken Mirror
10. Paper Gates - Dekum Blues
11. Night Heron - What Do You See
12. The Fur Coats - We Live
13. Ryan Oxford - Fa Fa Fa Fired
14. Branson Anderson - Vegas
15. MAITA - Japanese Waitress
16. Mega Pacific - You & Me
17. Shy Boys - Something Sweet
18. Cape Francis - 5 in the Morning
19. Andrea Gibson - About the Weather
20. Abbey Hendrix - You Sir
21. Shook Twins - Safe
- The players: Ural Thomas & The Pain, Chanti Darling, The Seshen,Vibe Mosaic ft. Mari QM, Bells Atlas, Dreckig, EPP, Orquestra Pacifico Tropical, Y La Bamba, Typhoon, Brette Irish, DoublePlusGood, Sweeping Exits, Husky Boys, Rad Max, Deathlist, Tancred, The Fourth Wall, Tough Boy, Water Wolfman Washington, Slow Corpse, Water Slice, The Family Crest, Kuinka, Frankie Simone, Gabe Fleck, Why These Coyotes, Dan Dan, Paper Gates, Night Heron, The Fur Coats, Ryan Oxford, Branson Anderson, MAITA, Mega Pacific, Shy Boys, Capoe Francis, Andrea Gibson, Abbey Hendrix, Shook Twins.
Listen to the song "Runaway"Portland rapper Myke Bogan's newest full-length album features laid-back beats & introspective lyrics, as well as features from neo-soul singer Blossom, rapper Ripley Snell, and Wild Ones frontwoman Danielle Sullivan.
RIYL: Earl Sweatshirt, Flying Lotus, Wiz Khalifa, introspective stoner rap
- 1. Pause
2. Pickathon (ft. Khary)
3. Leapfrog (ft. Blossom)
4. On My Way (ft. Kid Indigo)
5. All In (The Interlude)
6. Smooth Motion
7. Groove (ft. Kazadi, Blossom)
8. Calling You (ft. Ripley Snell)
9. Runaway (ft. Danielle Sullivan)
10. If You Wanna Know
- Originally from Lancaster, CA and currently based in Portland, OR, Myke Bogan's chill hip hop embodies the laid back vibes the West Coast is known for.
Listen to the song "Blooming"On Fables, the forthcoming release from Ashland, Oregon favorites Slow Corpse, languid soul and gauzy dream rock float effortlessly over a bed of nuanced post-rock melodic complexity. Taut, arrestingly propulsive R&B-tinged melodic hooks ebb and flow against an ever-present undercurrent of woozy psychedelica. Born out of the creative union of artists from very different musical ecosystems, Fables manages to blend seemingly disparate elements together in a record that is both intellectually compelling, absolutely of-the-moment, and just plain catchy as hell.
- 1. Run It
5. 7:25 AM
7. Hold You
- The brainchild of an EDM producer and a blues guitarist, Slow Corpse was born out of the misty forests and craggy mountains of Oregon in the fall of 2015. Singer/producer Mitchell Winters first rose to prominence as the golden boy of Soundcloud, where he releases electronic music as PALMCO. Guitarist Brenton Clarke cut his teeth as a hard blues and shoegaze informed, one-man-musical-tour-de-force. Winters and Clarke had known each other tangentially in high school and college, and eventually they got together for a casual jam session. “Brenton showed me a riff, I sang a little melody over it,” Winters tell us. “Then we stared into each other’s eyes and simultaneously said ‘let’s make song babies’. It’s been going ever since.” Following the release of their first two EP’s, Hound and Moons, Slow Corpse added multi-instrumentalist Cole Zollinger (Bass), hip-hop producer Dash Curtis (Keys), and Kelvin Underwood (drums) to their roster, creating a live band that has mesmerized crowds and seen the band opening for the likes of The Decemberists, Fitz & the Tantrums, Paul Wall, and more. In the fall of 2017 they signed to Portland, OR indie stalwart Tender Loving Empire, where they join the ranks of indie darlings Andy Shauf, Y La Bamba, and Typhoon. Fables is the result of a multi-year migration through the Pacific Northwest, written and recorded in whatever space the duo found themselves residing at a given moment. “Always small spaces, bathrooms, sometimes closets… but I always name my wifi Palmco Studios” says Winters. Produced and mixed by the band, it was mastered by Adam Gonsalves (Radiation City, Burials). Lyrically, the record runs the emotional gamut and is a broad-stroke snapshot of the reality of a post-millennial twenty-something. “People don’t need a message from the record” says Winter. “I just want people to come to our shows and dance with me.” Crack the cover on Fables, lose yourself in the spellbinding melodic narratives, and you’ll find that’s a near certainty.
Listen to the song "Mujer Santísima"El Tren is 11-member Orquestra Pacifico Tropical's fantastic second album.
RIYL: M.A.K.U. Soundsystem, Chicha Libre, explosive dance parties, psychedelic cumbia
- 1. Cumbia Chancla
2. Flor De Oro
4. Siglo Nuevo
5. El Tren
7. Isla De La Luz
8. Cumbia Marinero
10. Mujer Santísima
- Deep in the vein filled jungles of each of our hearts beats a music with roots as wide as continents and influence as deep as time itself: Cumbia, music of the Southern American Hemisphere. Orquestra Pacifico Tropical have taken this frenetic, addictive rhythm and accomplished what musicians across time and space have always done, bringing crowds into a blistering dance frenzy.
Sex & Food
Listen to the song "Not In Love We're Just High"Where are we headed? What are we consuming, how is it affecting us, and why does everything feel so bad and weird sometimes? These are some of the questions posed on Ruban Nielson’s fourth album as Unknown Mortal Orchestra, Sex & Food—a delightfully shapeshifting album that filters these real-deal serious themes through a vibrant sonic lens.
RIYL: Deerhunter, Tame Impala, MGMT, Blood Orange
- 1. A God Called Hubris
2. Major League Chemicals
3. Ministry of Alienation
5. Chronos Feasts on His Children
6. American Guilt
7. The Internet of Love (That Way)
8. Everyone Acts Crazy Nowadays
9. This Doomsday
10. How Many Zeroes
11. Not in Love We're Just High
12. If You're Going to Break Yourself
- The birth of Unknown Mortal Orchestra was private and mysterious; singer Ruban Nielson posted a song titled "Ffunny Ffriends" in 2010 on Bandcamp under a pseudonym, and within a week of recording it, it was discovered by Nylon magazine and had circulated back to him through his office. Today, Nielson is globally successful, lives with his wife and children outside of Portland, and maintains a casually funny twitter presence.
Listen to the song "Say It"Say It is a dynamic experimental pop album about the danger of silence in friendships & love.
RIYL: Radiohead, Dirty Projectors, Sylvan Esso, melodic math rock
Friendship Fever 2018
- 1. Pockets
2. Driving By
4. Say It
5. Down By One
6. Dig Ourselves a Hole
7. Western Love
9. Night Sweats
- Sama Dams is a 4-piece based in Portland featuring the songwriting skills of Sam and Lisa Adams. The music of Sama Dams steals from you most virtuously -- it will rob your sense of time and leave you wondering how long you’ve been awash in sound, rhythm, and ether.
I Need To Start a Garden
Listen to the song "Drinking Song"Haley Heynderickx's hauntingly beautiful debut album will melt the stoniest of hearts.
RIYL: Big Thief, John Fahey, Angel Olsen, Y La Bamba, unbearable beauty
Mama Bird Recordings 2018
- 1. No Face
2. The Bug Collector
4. Worth It
5. Show You a Body
6. Untitled God Song
7. Oom Sha La La
8. Drinking Song
- Heynderickx grew up in a religious household in Oregon, closely identifying with her Filipino roots, but also straddling multiple cultural identities. Now residing in Portland, her faith is not overt, but her introspection and continued struggle for self-actualization are easily accessible and relatable.
Listen to "Your Life"
All preorders of HEY GALAXY include immediate free download of the tracks "Your Life" and "Orlando."HEY GALAXY was created in the midst of another project as a result of the current political upheaval in the United States. Gibson was working on an album entirely about love, accompanied by an orchestra, but after the 2016 presidential election they felt moved to put forth a more social justice-oriented project. "There’s a quote that says, ‘Art should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable.’ I wanted to do that. I wanted to make something political and human and gutsy in its revolt. Something beautiful in its sweetness and rage and vulnerability. Something loud and tender at the same time."
HEY GALAXY does just that. The sixteen poems on the album tell the story of our times. Whether it’s "Orlando," which brutally relives the massacre at at LGBTQ nightclub and Gibson’s own struggles with coming out, or "A Letter to White Queers, A Letter to Myself," which combats white privilege during the rise of the Black Lives Matter Movement, Gibson’s poems awaken us with their urgency, honesty, and their lyrical meld of grit and beauty.
All LP and CD purchases include the full digital file for immediate download on release day.
TLE-072 (2017 )
- 1. Your Life
2. Radio (feat. Jesse Thomas)
4. Angels of the Get-Through
5. Boomerang Valentine
6. Letter to White Queers
9. Photoshopping My Sister's Mugshot
10. About the Weather
11. Give Her
12. Ode to the Public Panic Attack
13. The Day You Died Because You Wanted To
14. Good Light
15. To the Men Catcalling My Girlfriend While I'm Walking Beside Her
16. Fight for Love
- Andrea Gibson is not gentle with their truths. It is this raw fearlessness that has led them to the forefront of the spoken word movement. The first winner of the Womens World Poetry Slam, Gibson has headlined prestigious performance venues coast to coast with powerful readings on war, class, gender, bullying, white privilege, sexuality, love, and spirituality. They write books, record albums, perform, and tour.
Wait Don't Wait
Listen to the song "Scene Here"SISTERS continues their world takeover dance revolution with their second album, Wait Don't Wait. Building on their reputation for creating instantly crowd-pleasing dance anthems, Wait Don't Wait is replete with catchy, quirky corkers overflowing with joy. Emily Westman's bouncing beats make it impossible to remain seated—even while writing this!—while Andrew Vait's soaring vocals and keys create an ethereal, optimistic announcement that good times are ours for the taking, even in these unstable times.
All LP and CD purchases include the full digital file for immediate download on release day.
TLE-069 (2017 )
- 1. Scene Here
2. Heart Beats
3. Let Me Go
4. Sleepy Eyes
5. Glitter Lights
8. Posing In The Field
9. My Little Head
10. Night Walk
11. Y Do You Take So Long?
12. Love You Too
- Sisters is Emily Westman and Andrew Vait. They play music, dance, and spread joy from their secret headquarters in Seattle, WA.
TEN celebrates 10 years of greatest hits, rarities, and tunes never before released on vinyl from the Tender Loving Empire catalog.
Limited edition 12" colored vinyl in a poly sleeve with a full-color die cut insert. Download code included.
BONUS: While supplies last—each order of TEN comes with a glazed-bottom felt TLE slipmat for your turntable.
1. Jared Mees & the Grown Children - The Tallest Building in Hell
2. Finn Riggins - Wake (Keep This Town Alive)
3. Loch Lomond - Elephants & Little Girls
4. Typhoon - Summer Home
5. Radiation City - Zombies
1. Y La Bamba - Oh February
2. Brainstorm - She Moves
3. The Family Crest - Love Don't Go
4. Andy Shauf - You're Out Wasting
5. The Domestics - Sour Milk
- The players: Jared Mees & the Grown Children, Finn Riggins, Loch Lomond, Typhoon, Radiation City, Y La Bamba, Brainstorm, The Family Crest, Andy Shauf, The Domestics.
Friends and Friends of Friends Vol 10
Friends & Friends of Friends is an annual 2-disc compilation of music curated by Tender Loving Empire. We collect submissions from our friends and (as the compilation title might suggest) from their friends. We request specific songs that we love and include our favorite jams from bands on our own record label. This year it's time for number 10, and we've put together 42 songs that reflect the best of what we're into now.
Download code included.
1. Dave Depper - Your Voice On The Radio (ft. Laura Gibson)
2. SISTERS - Heart Beats
3. Chanti Darling - Stars
4. Natasha Kmeto - Pour Down
5. Gold Casio - Socialites and Singer Types
6. Bryson Cone - Desire
7. Palmco - Hive
8. Tinariwen - Sastanàqqàm
9. Korgy & Bass - BB Beats (ft. Thomas Barber)
10. Myke Bogan - Take The Nite Off (ft. Blossom)
11. MAARQUII - Dam God
12. The Last Artful, Dodgr & Neill Von Tally - Bleu Replica
13. Reptaliens - Prequel
14. Codahnagi - Empty Sheets
15. Lee and the Bees - If Ya Don’t Change
16. Plastic Cactus - Dark & Moody
17. Small Million - Belmont, 1923
18. New Move - No One But Her ft. Radiation City
19. Cataldo - America, Goodnight!
20. Loch Lomond - Legs & Antlers
21. Sparillow - Wake Up
22. Qloq - Drifting
1. The Domestics - For The Last Time
2. Cardiod - Chinatown
3. Palehound - Flowing Over
4. deathlist - Sleeper
5. Animal Eyes - Guava
6. Turtlenecked - Pangloss
7. Scarves - Off Script
8. tow knee chavez - Whoa Oh, We Love Food
9. Couches - Anxiety
10. Autonomics - She’s Into Death
11. Battlehooch - Everyday
12. Kelli Schaefer - No Identity
13. Kendra McKinley - Fine As A Vine
14. Mister Heavenly - Makin’ Excuses
15. Jared Mees - Blue Angels
16. Black Belt Eagle Scout - Soft Stud
17. Johanna Warren - The Blessing / The Curse
18. Robin Bacior - Water Dreams
19. Anna Tivel - Lillian & Martha
20. Bart Budwig - Goliath Got Stoned
- The players: Dave Depper, SISTERS, Chanti Darling, Natasha Kmeto, Gold Casio, Bryson Cone, Palmco, Tinariwen, Korgy & Bass, Myke Bogan, MAARQUII, The Last Artful, Dodgr, Reptaliens, Codahnagi, Lee and the Bees, Plastic Cactus, Small Million, New Move, Cataldo, Loch Lomond, Sparillow, Qloq, The Domestics, Cardiod, Palehound, deathlist, Animal Eyes, Turtlenecked, Scarves, tow knee chavez, Couches, Autonomics, Battlehooch, Kelli Schaefer, Kendra McKinley, Mister Heavenly, Jared Mees, Black Belt Eagle Scout, Johanna Warren, Robin Bacior, Anna Tivel, Bart Budwig
Listen to the song "Feel it Still"Few indie bands turn pop as well as Portugal. The Man has done with Woodstock, effortlessly combining their indie rock roots with RnB, hip hop, and pop sensibilities.
RIYL: Broken Bells, Alt J, Cage the Elephant, Bruno Mars
- 1. Number One (Featuring – Richie Havens, Son Little)
2. Easy Tiger
3. Live In The Moment
4. Feel It Still
5. Rich Friends
6. Keep On
7. So Young
8. Mr. Lonely
Featuring – Fat Lip
9. Tidal Wave
10. Noise Pollution (Version A, Vocal Up Mix 1.3) Featuring – Mary Elizabeth Winstead
- Indie babes turned pop stars Portugal. The Man have roots in both Alaska and Portland, have released 9 full length albums, and have worked with Yoko Ono, Mike D of Beastie Boys, Mac Miller, Danger Mouse, and more. Visit their website.
Listen to the song "Harrison 2"Turtlenecked's Vulture was written and recorded by one 21-year-old in a house in the Sellwood neighborhood of Portland.
RIYL: Fugazi, Parquet Courts, early Weezer, nervous breakdowns
2017 Good Cheer Records
- 1. Boys Club
3. My New Necklace
5. Harrison 2
6. Meeting You In The Hospital
7. Bronze Bull
8. Human Veal
- Harrison Smith (aka Turtlenecked) plays every instrument on his albums' recordings, takes himself seriously (but not too seriously), and creates art-punk-power-pop that's equally relatable and grating. Visit him on Bandcamp.
Listen to the song "Photographs"According to singer Nate Wey, shoegazing bliss-pop group Souvenir Driver's fourth full length album is "inspired by relationships, nature, and strangely enough, turtles."
RIYL: Jesus + Mary Chain, My Bloody Valentine, Mogwai, Chromatics
- 1. Swans
4. Slow Retreat
6. Voices of a Traveler
- Souvenir Driver is a four-piece rock band based in Portland. They create dreamy psychedelic post-punk shoegaze with rugged soundscapes and recorded their self titled album in a cabin on Mt. Hood. Visit their website.
Prequel / Olive Boy
Listen to the song "Olive Boy"The greatly anticipated debut single from mysterious & culty Portland band Reptaliens. RIYL: Ariel Pink, Beach House, Wampire, nightmarish dream pop.
- 1. Prequel
2. Olive Boy
- Reptaliens is inspired by sci-fi art, cult mentality, and deep connections, creating low fidelity chameleon dreamscapes somewhere between abstract expressionism and surrealism both sonically and visually.Visit them on Captured Tracks.
Listen to the song "Rorshach"Offerings, the first album from Typhoon in four years, is available now as CD, 2xLP, and digital download. Following up 2013's critically-acclaimed White Lighter, Offerings is made up of 14 tracks divided into four movements — Floodplains, Flood, Reckoning, and Afterparty. All physical orders include a high-quality digital download of Offerings.
- 1. Wake
- Typhoon is a band of contradictions. The eleven-piece Portland supergroup is both wild and tightly structured, punk and symphonic. Frontman Kyle Morton’s lyrics are concerned primarily with death, but Typhoon’s songs are resoundingly triumphant. The truth is that the band, formed by high school friends who somewhat miraculously overcame the interpersonal challenges and logistical nightmares of keeping a project of this scale intact to full maturity, was just built that way. Morton has fought significant battles with illness over the course of his life and has at times left him struggling with meaning. Of Typhoon’s music he says, “You can consider it one very bewildered man’s attempt to explain the universe to himself...in the language of bewilderment.”